When we bought our house one of my favorite features was the fireplace in the dining room. Let me be clear, not the fireplace itself because it was BAD. So here it is, my brick fireplace makeover: phase one. I love the idea of the fireplace, mine in particular just needed more than a little love. With the full dining room makeover at hand I was beyond excited to make it look just how I wanted. Now that it’s done I want to show you exactly how I did it. Starting with Phase One: Painting the brick.
Lets get started with the Brick Fireplace Makeover: Phase One. My brick was very seventies inspired with yellow, red, brown, and all sorts of in between colors. Regardless of decor or the rest of the room, the oddness of it remained a very distracting eye sore. You can see my last project in this area where I added new hardware to my cabinets right here. For starters, I had to even out the color of the brick. To be honest I wasn’t completely sure how I would. But I had a whole lot of faith in my all time favorite tool: paint.
I headed to the local hardware store and got three samples, I was basing them off of THIS photo above and trying to match the red tone as closely as I could. The color I needed was far less red and much more pink/salmon than I thought. I ended up using the color: Spoon Full of Sugar by Benjamin Moore in Satin. Keep in mind the color you use will depend on your brick, and really what color you are wanting as the end result. I tested mine out and prayed that I would love it. I did know that if I hated it I could wash it off… hopefully. Ha!
You can see that it the color varies slightly from brick to brick due to the brick being different colors. Once I got a few painted and got my paint consistency right it all went really fast.
Lets be clear that this is not a full, fill in the holes, cover-up-the-brick-completely paint job. The goal was to bring old english o my 70’s disaster and lessen the sores it was causing my eyeballs. Cue the Brick Fireplace Makeover: Phase One.
You can also watch the video process here for more insight!
Some of the brick was darker than others so I did a few more coats of paint. There was only two times where I felt I added too much and just used a wet rag to wipe it off a bit. The BB Frösch aids in helping it adhere but before it was completely dry wiping it wasn’t an issue. Below you can see the top half after one coat. I only did a second coat on some of the brick that didn’t match or blend as well as I wanted it to.
Here it is completely painted! Phase one: Painted Brick Fireplace, complete! There is no filter on this so you really get the idea of the color and how it still has character and variation. I am in love with it!
Get ready for phase two because you can see how deep those lines are in between the brick and they need to GO. Next I will be showing you the process of filling in the horrific grout lines. As always, drop any questions below & follow along on Instagram for more of the behind the scenes process!